Why Placenta Encapsulation?
Priceless Post-Partum Support:
I am so excited to be now be offering this service to women and couples in my community! I love supporting women in their process of pregnancy and birth, and as a licensed Acupuncturist with a Chinese Medicine background, I can tell you that this is one of the best things you can do to support yourself post-partum.
(btw: if you haven’t made a Post-Partum Birth Plan yet, please ask me how I can support you in creating one!)
From a Chinese Medicine standpoint, after you give birth, there is an incredible loss of “Qi” (the Chinese word that generally translates to “life force energy”) and blood in the body. Placentophagy (the consuming of one’s own placenta by mammals) has the power to help support and replenish what is lost in the birthing process.
From a Western standpoint, traditionally Placenta capsules have been used to:
- Prevent and lessen the risk of postpartum depression or ‘baby blues’ by replacing hormones that your body stops producing for the 6 weeks after birth
- Replenish your iron from blood loss during birth and to prevent post birth anemia and fatigue
- Lend you a consistent flow of oxytocin long after your birth euphoria ends
- Providing the Human Placental Lactogen hormone to help establish early and healthy milk supply
- Stabilize your ever changing hormones post birth
- Replenish your B vitamins and energy that were used during the labor and birthing process
- Protect your body from infection and bleeding due to retained placenta tissue or membranes
- Offer natural pain relief from the labor and birth of the baby
The placenta is a hormone-producing organ, which is found to be rich in:
Prolactin: promotes lactation
Oxytocin: relieves pain and encourages bonding; also known as the “love” hormone
Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infection
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: boosts energy and helps us recover from stressful events
Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks stores of energy
Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia
Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections
Urokinase Inhibiting Factor & Factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
Placenta Encapsulation is a sacred process to me, so know that every care will be taken to make sure your placenta is handled with love. I will meet you or your placenta’s “caretaker” at your place of birth or a planned meeting point as soon as possible after you give birth. I will transport your placenta on ice and if possible, immediately begin the process of dehydrating it in my sterilized workspace. After the placenta is completely dehydrated, I will grind and encapsulate it in vegetarian/gluten free capsules. Usually within 72 hours of receipt of your placenta, I will deliver your capsules and other preparations you have requested. If you requested a tincture, it will be delivered after it has been infusing for 6 weeks.
As a licensed healthcare professional, I take every precaution necessary to ensure safety and integrity in the encapsulation process. I was extensively trained by International Placenta + Postpartum Association in all of the methods and procedures I offer to my encapsulation clients. To safeguard my practice, I have certain measures in place. Please know that:
- I will never be working with more than one placenta at a time: first come, first served. The first placenta will be completely prepared and capsules delivered before the second placenta is picked up. Using this method I can ensure that cross-contamination or placenta mix-up will not take place.
- I conform to local Food + Health department safety guidelines as well as OSHA Blood Borne Pathogens guidelines for all of the procedures used.